Monday, January 7, 2008

Head in the Clouds

I had the opportunity to travel to Portland today to visit my parents. I've made this trip several times but there was something about my flight's descent that really moved me. The sun was so bright above the clouds and I found that as we made our initial descent I tried as for as long as I could to see the sun before it was completely obscured behind the overcast sky. It was interesting as we popped through one cloud to see the ground below only to have our entire view blocked with another low lying cloud. This experience was very moving and I had the thought that this must be what it was like to come to earth, leaving our first heavenly home. I can only hope that as my spirit came to earth I tried to see my Heavenly Father for as long as I could, not unlike wishing to glimpse the sun from within the clouds. Descending on a flight is always filled with excitement and trepidation. It seems like giving up one wonderful thing for another. Perhaps the pangs of regret are soothed with the knowledge that there may be many times I am unable to see the bright sun but knowing that no matter how grey and overcast the skies, I would always remember how bright it was above the clouds and that the sun is always there.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Not to take away from the beauty of what you've written, but are in Washington? If so, for how long?

Lisa R.D. said...

Agree with Megan--beautiful what you wrote. Did you call Sunday asking for my book club book? If so, you obviously wanted it for your trip, too late. I just finished yesterday--and you are welcome to it when you come back. If it was not you that called, you'll have to get on the waiting list, there's some unknow book club member in line ahead of you :). Enjoy Portland!