Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Choose Your Poison

I was reading the other day, (I forget where I found this), and I came across a review of the movie "27 Dresses". The critic came to the ultimate conclusion that the messages in this movie were nothing but "Toxic" for young women. I thought that the remarks seemed pretty harsh even knowing as little as I did about the movie.

Last night I had the chance to see the movie with a friend and I was telling her about the critic's comments. We both had a little chuckle about how a movie about love and marriage could be toxic for young women. I will happily admit that I like the movie. It was a fun girls night out treat and we had some pretty good laughs. After coming home, I've been thinking about what the critic said now that I've had a chance to see the movie for myself.

In the end, the girl ends up with the guy after a rocky and brief journey of self discovery. The heroine is happy, sure of herself and married to the man she loves. I am assuming that the toxicity of the movie is the fact that the main character doesn't seem to know who she is until she falls in love with the right guy. Of course, this love interest points out to our main character all her flaws and helps her see her "true path". I can hear the shouts of feminists around the globe; "You don't need a man to make you happy or help you know who you are".

Ladies and gentlemen; it's OK to depend on someone else! It's OK to love someone and know that they will make you a better person. At what point in our society did we decide we must be perfect before we decide to become committed to someone else? And not only that, why do we assume that we can only become our best on our own? I count no greater blessing in my life than my husband and the family that we have made together. I'm not less of a woman because I have chosen to let someone else add to my happiness. I'm not a weak person because I've given my heart to another human being. Are there risks associated with that? Absolutely! Could bad things happen? Absolutely! Would I be a different person without my spouse? Most definitely. But it does not follow that that person would be better or more successful. I know I am better because of what I've learned from him and he from me.

To all those folks who are reticent about marriage for whatever reason I would say this; It's OK to find yourself and your happiness with another person. You can't spend your life hedging all your bets.

6 comments:

Linda Lou said...

Now I want to see the show. I still haven't seen Enchanted. I may just have to wait for video.

Lisa said...

I was wondering if the movie was good. Now I am going to have to get my own girls night out started so I can see the movie. And I agree with your thoughts. I am glad to be married to someone that makes me a better person but also loves me for who I am.

Jennifer said...

*sigh* I am so out of touch with movies. I have never heard of this one. I liked your post. As many positive things have come from the feminist movement, there are just as many negative. Basically women/girls are being taught that they don't need men (i.e women who have children w/out husbands, etc.). They've also downplayed the role of men to be silly morons who don't have a clue (i.e tv shows like Home Improvement). It's sad. As parents of boys we need to be sure to teach them that they're not mere sidekicks, but respected leaders.
Annie

Lula Mae said...

amen to that!

Nicole said...

I have not seen the movie but I feel that your right on. Your TRUE happyness should not be dependent on others but it is right and good to be happy with someone who makes you better for who you are. Life is ment to be spent with one person who when with you and you with them are better together.

Lula Mae said...

amen again and good on you for having your head in the right place! You're a rock!