Friday, March 21, 2008

My House

I had the thought today that at my house there are always dishes in the sink and crumbs on the floor. There is always laundry to be done and dust on the piano. And all too often, the toilet doesn't get flushed. At my house there is always noisy wrestling and an ongoing search for clean socks. There is homework and violin practice and soccer game weekends.
At my house there are Bar B Q's, birthday parties and late nights with friends. There are game nights and dinner groups and backyard get-togethers. And sometimes, when I notice the dust on the floor and piano because I haven't had time to clean or sigh with exasperation at having to flush the toilet for someone else I am grateful that my days are filled with the sounds of children, that I have good friends and that I am needed.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you! It's not just me! And you definitely want your home to be the home that your kids stay and play at. It's nice to know what your kids' friends are like and you can keep your eye on them that way. Of course you have to be the "cool" mom in order for the kids to want to come over in the first place. Cookies anyone?

Megan said...

This is nice. A bit reminiscent (spelling) of something you'd see embroidered and hung on the wall. Why? Because it's true, and women (or at least the ones I want to know) feel this way.

Lisa said...

I used to love the sound of a quiet house, but these days I feel more comfortable with the noise that children bring.

Lisa R.D. said...

I'm so glad that your house is comfortable and that friends and family are welcome there. I agree that a sparkling clean and quiet home just can't compare to the joy that a few crumbs and noise makes. Want to be in a Rock Band?

Linda Lou said...

Perfect!

There will be a time in your life when you can dust and vacuum to your hearts content. Enjoy your kids and their friends,they will be the basis of many happy memories later. Those are the happpiest noises in the world.