Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fight Club

As a mother of three boys I knew this day would come. We have now navigated our way through our first fist fight. (For grandmas who are reading this, it was minor and no one was physically hurt. But pride on the other hand...)

Apparently my son (who shall remain unnamed) was mouthing off and got a little verbal argument going. I guess that was enough for him and he threw the first punch only to get it handed to him by the other kid. Our delinquent came home in tears and relayed his version of the story to his dad. Of course my husband listened to the story and did a little detective work on his own. According to one of our other sons, our instigator deserved what he got. My husband followed DEF CON 4 procedure by explaining the reasons we do not start fist fights and sent the twerp to bed.

I am really surprised that I am not more upset about this. First of all, my child likes to talk smack and I think that since he got his pride handed to him in a paper bag, this was a good lesson learned. Second, there is a part of me that wants to kick the other kid's butt myself. He's a punk and I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind. (Of course, there are laws against that and well, I don't want to go to jail.) I guess I can say that now I truly feel like I have been inducted into the "Mother of Boys" club!

5 comments:

Linda Lou said...

Never had that experience. I did however get to do the "she said, she said" thing. Little girls come home crying for different reasons, usually something about who won't play with whom.

All kids have to learn life's lessons, you just hope they can do it with only a few physical or emotional scars left by the time they reach adulthood.

Carry on!

Nicole said...

Braden got kicked in the stomach at school last week by a boy who thought Braden was touching his sister. I wanted to rip the other kids head off. I told Braden he should first walk away, but if that doesn't work he is never aloud to hit first but if needs be FIGHT BACK. I do not know what to do when it does happen though. Good luck with that one.

Jennifer said...

Oh my...the things I have to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

After 3 boys, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Kevin (who just got home from a mission) once was jumping around and doing who knows what (I think he was in 5th grade at the time), and he "accidentally" hit another kid who threw him to the ground and broke his clavical!

Lula Mae said...

Well that probably wasn't a good day. I'm so excited for their bodies to get bigger, more damage!