Sunday, March 2, 2008

Faithful Thoughts/Part II from Lisa

Thanks for your great thoughts, Annie. I have been thinking a lot about what I wanted to write for this topic--how we show love to our families--yet I don't think I've managed to come up with anything earth-shattering. For me, showing love to my family takes work, even though I feel love all of the time. I really have to make a conscious effort to make sure that my loved ones KNOW they are my loved ones. With my children I experience that a lot--but when it comes down to it, I want them to know, without any doubts, that I love them. I want them to know that I expect great things from them because they have that capacity. I want them to feel appreciated and understood. For Valentine's Day we usually get t-shirts at Old Navy that profess to the world that it's a day of love... and we give each other candies or other treats and write little notes of love. This year Ryan went all out and did so much for me for Valentine's Day--love letters, a mix CD, and gift certificates to all my favorite places. I love getting gifts (must be my love language?) but I am figuring out that it's not just the things we do or give to each other that really show our love. Gifts are nice, and particularly when they are thoughtful and meaningful gifts. I am increasingly grateful though for the ways that Ryan and my children show their love to me on a regular basis. Ryan listens to me. He works hard to provide for our family. He takes the time (every day) to rub my feet or my back. He holds my hand when we are walking together. He vocalizes his love often. My children serve me and each other in the ways that they can. They tell me with their words and actions that they love me. They want to be good and they want to be obedient, and this is another way that they show their love. In that spirit, the ways that I show love to my family members include: listening to them, being there for them (physically there as well as emotionally there), teaching them and helping them recognize when they are learning and growing, encouraging them, praising them, working with them, playing with them, and by telling them of my love for them. I really believe that my children and husband can feel that they are loved. When Ryan tells me he loves me, I can honestly say, "I know you do" because he shows it in so many ways. I hope that my children know that we love them, not just because we tell them, but because we show them in all that we do for them and with them.

No comments: