Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Whole New World

I was sitting with my daughter on the park bench last night, waiting for soccer practice to be completed. We were playing a silly game and at the end, I reached and cupped her face in my hands and looked into her green eyes. The sun rested on her face and she was smiling in the most beautiful way and I couldn't help but wonder, will I remember this little face when she is grown? Will I recall this moment when I looked at her, with full attention, and saw what a sweet happy child she is? In that moment I wanted nothing but her happiness all her life. The best of every experience in her growing up years to help her be the most wonderful woman in her future. A whole universe of potential was reflected in those little eyes and I couldn't help but be grateful she was smiling.

3 comments:

Colette said...

I wonder the same thing about my kiddos... will I remember? I hope so!!! Give Lucy lots of love from Aunt Lettie!

Stephanie Hatzenbuehler said...

You'll remember. Those are the moments that are burned in your brain. Also, you'll never forget being accused of bon bon eating by the 12 year old :)

Linda Lou said...

You'll remember, I do! I'll always remember those big brown eyes and that sweet face.

And you know, it's changed a little, but it still looks the same to me.