Saturday, June 7, 2008

Decisions, Decisions


It seems lately that I have been keenly aware of the parenting choices I have to make each day. Every day comes with so many chances to screw things up or make things great. The smallest situations seem to have endless consequences. For example, when my son leaves peanut butter all over the counter and the bread out after he's made a sandwich I can choose to clean it up myself or walk outside, holler down the street, make him come home and deal with the grumbling that comes with it just so I can teach him it's important to clean up his mess. Because really, I'm trying to avoid having a 30 year old son who leaves the peanut butter on the counter and the bread bag open. It seems to follow that if he can't learn to put those things away, how will he learn to follow through with tasks in his profession? What employer will want to hire someone who always needs to be cleaned up after? What woman wants to marry a man who is more like a child? My greatest reward will be if my daughters-in-law can say that their husbands clean up after themselves and support their families. I have to remind myself that I am raising a man not a boy.

3 comments:

Linda Lou said...

I know that I will forever be grateful to Grandma Haskett that she raised a son who I have never picked up after. In 37 years I have never hung up an article of his clothing or picked up his towel from the floor.( I have taken his tie off the banister a few times.)

Keep up the hard work. A grateful woman will thank you someday.

Lisa said...

I almost have Lex "trained" to put his empty sippy cup on the counter when he is done. D might think that I am "Nazi" but that is because he has a hard time cleaning up after himself. I agree with your mom, one day our future DIL will thanks us for the men we raised.

Anonymous said...

Well Damon is 15 and oh my gosh... 16 on Thursday and I still have to remind him to clean up his mess from his penut butter sandwich. I hope in the next 2 years, I he will finally get it through his head that we don't have a maid.. haha