Friday, September 28, 2007

Inspiring

I've taken a liking to the show "Kid Nation". I know that it's taken some heat in the press of late and that many people are upset that there are kids alone in the desert trying to survive without adults. I have to say that I am so impressed with the children on this show. Thus far they have conducted themselves with amazing intelligence and have accomplished things I didn't believe children of those ages could. I think it's an excellent study in allowing our children to be themselves. As parents I think we forget that it's okay for kids to have hard times and to feel disappointment. In fact, it's necessary. I don't think that as parents we trust our children enough. They seem to be smarter and more capable than we give them credit for.

On the flip side, these children are who they are because they have been taught well by their parents. I guess that's all we can do as parents, teach them what they need to know and then trust that they will use it. I think Kid Nation is an excellent metaphor for life.

I feel great excitement anticipating what kind of adults these children will grow up to be.

1 comment:

G Hugher said...

I haven't seen this TV show, but your blog entry makes me want to check it out.