Tuesday, September 11, 2007

American Living On

I just read an article by Anna Quindlen entitle "American Forgetting". It's a very well written article with many valid points. I agree with her opinion that America as a super power has made a mess of the response to the Sept. 11th attacks. She puts so succinctly the thoughts about Iraq versus Afghanistan in terms of fighting an enemy. (I'll refer you to her article at www.msnbc.com/id/20657183/site/newsweek/). It is the ending of her article that troubles me. I would like to give some hope to Ms. Quindlen that there are some Americans who have not forgotten. True, I did not stop today to observe a moment of silence for the fallen. I have not watched any special ceremonies or even read many articles about the different memorial events taking place today. No, today I did what many Americans did, I got up and continued on. I made sure my children practiced their instruments, made their beds and did their homework. I packed their lunches and made them wear their bike helmets. We studied scriptures as a family and talked about the love God has for all of us and then I sent them to our local public school. I have filled my day with what many would say are ordinary things but I sincerely feel that it is in these ordinary things that we as Americans best honor the fallen. I will continue to refrain from judging others on the color of their skin or the basis of their faith. I will teach my children to love one another as Jesus loves you and if your friend doesn't believe in Jesus, that's ok. I will teach my children to pray and I will pray myself and when it comes time for me to make my voice heard, I will vote.

No comments: