Thursday, September 13, 2007

Life Changing

I am currently reading a book called "Kitchen Table Wisdom" by Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen and it is by far the most profound book I have read in my life. It's a New York Times best seller and I can see why. She does not explore human weakness, she explains it and gives me hope to make my weakness strength (something I believe is the purpose of life anyway). Her writing has opened my heart to better understand myself and my faith and allowing my Heavenly Father to guide me. I am deeply moved by her ability to so beautifully express in writing her wise observations of the human soul. Every page is filled with some wonderful story of change and growth and I have been overwhelmed at the ultimate simplicity of healing. I'll leave you with a passage I read last night.

"Perhaps we are no longer a kind people. More and more, we seem to have become numb to the suffering of others and ashamed of our own suffering. Yet suffering is one of the universal conditions of being alive. We all suffer. We have become terribly vulnerable, not because we suffer but because we have separated ourselves from each other. A patient once told me that he had tried to ignore his own suffering and the suffering of other people because he had wanted to be happy. Yet becoming numb to suffering will not make us happy. The part in us that feels suffering is the same as the part that feels joy." Pgs. 147-148

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

What a great quote--it makes me think of Eve's wisdom--that without the sorrow of their transgression, they wouldn't know the difference between good and evil, and therefore could not appreciate the joy of their redemption. I agree with your that our life is to make our weaknesses strong--I love having good examples around me of those who are doing that. Looking forward to reading this book (January book club?).

Lula Mae said...

Yeah, I think we should read it in Jan. It's just amazing!