Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My husband prides himself on knowing nothing about home repair. I have in fact, discussed this here before. I have been happy to encourage this attitude in life because I have seen his handiwork. However, I have been known on some occasions to do small jobs but more often than not, I call someone or chuck the broken item. It took a broken ornament to make me think otherwise.
On Sunday, my daughter broke a Christmas tree ornament that I was given when my husband and I married. It was on our first Christmas tree and every one since. It's not a particularly gorgeous ornament but it was personalized with our names and like I said, it has emotional significance.
As my daughter brought the broken memento to me I had the thought that "Oh well, it was a cute ornament." As I looked it over and tried to place the broken pieces together I realized that I could in fact, fix the problem. It was then that I realized I had no glue that would work for the task at hand. A thought came to my mind that there are many things in my home I could mend if I had the correct tools but sadly, my home is very devoid of such necessary things. I wondered, in my times of physical and emotional plenty have I "chucked" a few too many precious things that could have been mended had I the time or tools to fix them? Have I assumed that the objects, physical or spiritual, could be replaced because I had abundance in my life?
These thoughts have stirred a resolve within me to become someone who mends things. Not only that, but to become one who sees the value in things whether they are of use at the moment or not. I want to fill my home and my life with the things that mend whether it be Duct tape or prayer.
For these realizations I am grateful and I fully believe they have come about because of the hardships that abound in our lives today. It is a great time for Heavenly Father to teach us about the importance of every little thing and remind us (me) how valuable each blessing is in our lives and not waste the wonderful things that come to us each day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this. I have been having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year, and you reminded me to remember all my blessings and that has made it so much easier..

Linda Lou said...

This was beautiful. Thanks for making me even more proud of you.