Thursday, December 4, 2008


The discussion of the existence of Santa is in full swing right now at our house. My older two boys have decided against while my younger two really want to believe. We are a house divided. When my children used to ask me if Santa was real, I felt a twinge of uncertainty- would they resent me when they got older for alluding to his existence? Would they hold it against me later, accusing me of lying? I've come up with my answer for them when they ask. I simply ask them "do you believe in Santa?" and then I tell them I believe in Santa and that there are good people all around the world who help Santa out during Christmas. It doesn't matter if we understand how he gets everything done or how he knows how everyone behaves, what matters is that we are kind. (Feel free to draw your own parallels.) It seems to be doing the trick. I don't feel too guilty and they seem to be happy with the response. I'd love to know what anyone else tells their children at this time of year.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

My children haven't questioned his existence...YET. :) To me, it's all part of the magic of Christmas. Obviously he is not the reason we celebrate, but it's a magical part of the season for grownups and children alike. If I told my 6-year-old the truth, I think she'd resent that I stole that magic from her once she became an adult! But I know what you mean...it has become quite the debate in Christian circles.

Ally Bally said...

At 27 I still believe in Santa!!