Friday, December 5, 2008

I came across this article today during my daily news intake. "Atheist Sign Stolen from State Holiday Display." I found it quite interesting. It's a case of a stolen sign representing Atheist views on display near a Christian Nativity. I think the phrase that caught my attention was the quote from the display; "There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

Yeah, it's pretty blunt but nonetheless, they get to express their thoughts. The other line that caught my attention was this; "The U.S. Supreme Court has been consistent and clear that, under the Constitution's First Amendment, once government admits one religious display or viewpoint onto public property, it may not discriminate against the content of other displays, including the viewpoints of nonbelievers." I whole heartedly agree. The problem is this, the atheistic sign deliberately attacked the beliefs of those who practice Christian beliefs under the protection of the First Amendment. There was no sign at the nativity stating something like- "Those who refuse to see God's hand in all things are complete morons."

I wonder what kind of response that would have raised.

No comments: