Friday, November 7, 2008

A Sticky Situation

I was watching the news last night and reading this morning. There was a protest in front of the LDS temple in LA and one planned tonight at Temple Square in Salt Lake. My heart just aches for everyone involved. On Wednesday morning I woke up and thought about all those couples who were married in California whose marriages may not be legal now and I can only imagine how devastating that must be for them. After seeing the news I thought of all the members of the church who went to the temple yesterday and had to walk through a crowd shouting at them as they passed. What a sad situation!
I'm really grateful for those members (of the LDS church and other denominations) who have remained steadfast in the face of what I can only assume is very daunting opposition.
I know one protester yesterday mentioned that this is merely a civil rights issue, not a moral one. Let's say for the sake of argument that they are correct. I would say then, what happens to Mormon members who-if gays are allowed the chance to marry- when gay and lesbian couples request that their unions be solidified in the Mormon Temple? The church will of course, say no and then I'm sure that the state will remove the church's right to marry and couple by state authority. So, members of the church will have to be married civilly first, then wait to be married in the temple later. (It's a one year waiting period to be married in the temple if you are married civilly first.) What about the ability of the members of the Mormon church to practice our faith? The consequences of this decision are far reaching and long lasting. This issue, even if only considered a civil rights issue, creates a plethora of legal problems and ramifications we, as US citizens can't even begin to fully anticipate.

As for those who insist that the LDS church is inserting it's morality into the civics of our country, I believe the same could be said for the other side.

3 comments:

Linda Lou said...

Oh, the times we live in.

Jennifer said...

I have not watched the news for several days so I am not sure what's going on with the protestors at the Mormon church. But it seems to me that there are people in this country, particularly in Hollywood, who want to push their immoral beliefs on everyone, but how dare we moral people try to stand up for what we believe in. What's wrong with this scenario: a celebrity heterosexual couple insist they are committed to one another, have children with one another, yet don't see the need to be married. However, celebrity homosexual couples want the right to be married. Do they really want to be married, or do they just want America to accept their lifestyle?

Lula Mae said...

Well said Annie!