Monday, November 17, 2008

I'll Admit It

We listen to High School Musical 3 music around here all the time. I will happily admit, I really like it. I know, it's kind of corny but as Kate Winslet's character in "The Holiday" says, "I like corny, I'm looking for corny in my life."

I thought it was funny to read a review about HSM3 saying that Disney missed a great opportunity to teach teenagers about real life situations, that the show was too wholesome.

What about the lesson that you can be happy without alcohol or drugs? You can have a fun relationship with the other sex without, well, sex. The lesson that you don't have to totally screw up your life at 16 in order to be a knowledgeable adult. I'm glad someone finally put out some movies that actually teach helpful lessons.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm right there with you, girl! It's funny how I LOVE this movie at my age. It's a more wholesome "Grease" - which I also loved. Have you seen the new movie in the theater? Emma wants me to take her to it, but I want to be able to watch it first to be sure it's okay. I'm not sure how appropriate it is to take a 6-year-old to see it. What do you think?

Lula Mae said...

I took both my older two (11 & 8) and they really enjoyed it. I would have taken my 5 year old as well but I didn't think he would get it. It was pretty safe.

Linda Lou said...

You are so right on! It's great to think that kids can make it thru their teenage years relatively unscathed if they make good choices. All that teenage angst isn't a necessary part of life.

I'm anxious to see this film. I want to see "Secret Life Of Bees" too.