Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Nothing Brilliant


I've called a repair man to fix my microwave. He should be here sometime between the hours of one o'clock and three o'clock. That works great for me because, well really I have nothing else to do today besides stay at home and wait. (That last bit was dripping with sarcasm in case you missed it.) I'm almost giddy about the prospects of doing a plumber's butt expose but I will restrain myself. After all, he's only a microwave guy. I really would have to say that my experience with repair men has been pretty good. Typically they get the job done fast and without any big to do. Unfortunately I think that I've called some of them so many times I've developed a reputation. The last time my plumber visited he was joking about my ineptitude on the phone with another one of his plumbing buddies. I need to set the record straight here, it's not me, it's my husband. Seriously, my husband, bless his white collar heart, couldn't put a puzzle together! Even if the pieces were numbered. His first response is "get someone to fix that" whenever something breaks down. Now to many women this would be a dream, I know. I'm sure you are scratching your head thinking what's her problem? Well let me tell you! It's not easy being the laughing stock of the plumbing/electrician's community. Seriously, hubby says call the plumber and he's off to work. I'm the one who has to answer the door, make small talk and corral the kids all while smiling as the repair man tells me "see here, it just wasn't turned on." (honestly, that's happened.) I'm the one who gets the goofy laugh when they pull corn dog sticks from the disposal. I'm the one who has to explain that we put the faucet in ourselves so I can see why it's leaking now. See, it's rough!

So to all you women with DIY hubbies, take it from me, it's not all wine and roses for us with inept spouses. We suffer!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Amen to that!

Lisa said...

I have had a plumber over to fix the garbage disposal and all he did was "crank" the bottom. After two seconds on the fix and a $60 check was written, he was out the door.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is... I feel your pain..