Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Don't Worry, They're Washable!

For some reason today was the day we decided to clean out the toaster. I don't love doing this but as far as household chores go, this one is pretty simple. My six year old was very excited to help and as I was dumping the crumb collection out of the upside down toaster, the task of cleaning the crumb trays fell to him. It took me a minute to realize that he was simply holding the trays under running water without touching the crumbs, (It takes some elbow grease to clean my crumb trays. That should tell you how often I clean it.) I could see he was avoiding any sort of skin contact with said crumbs.
I told him that he would have to use his hands to get the crumbs off the tray and that it was okay to get his hands dirty, they were washable.

Isn't that the point of life really, that we're here to get our hands dirty in the service of others and our savior? I guess we shouldn't be so concerned with how big the mess is or how dirty we'll get but always remember that through faith everything is washable.

It's especially comforting to think that even the bad things we do, intentionally or not, can be removed. And while it's never okay to make bad choices just because we can fix it later, I am thankful that whether we soil our hands with service or sin, Christ will always help us wash away the dirt.

I am grateful for washable hands and a washable soul.