Friday, October 24, 2008

To Maureen

So about a year ago I posted about and anti-Mormon tantrum that took place on a national television show. I can't remember the man's name but I remember that I wrote I was surprised to hear someone so verbally caustic about Mormon's in general and that I had never experienced that before. I went on to discuss how surprised I was at what I really felt to be hate for what I believe in.

I had a comment from a woman I've never met who questioned me about what I believe and really, I feel, continued the attack on the LDS faith. Over the course of a few days we exchanged comments and ultimately I concluded my end of the discussion. I have been told by other readers that there is another comment from her but I have never read it. I chose to let it go, it bothered me so much.

For several weeks after I had a lot to think about and I pondered, quite extensively, what I thought about our exchange. It was the first time in my life that I have ever been "called to the mat" to defend my beliefs. I look back now and wish I had not been so afraid of her misunderstanding as to keep me from really expressing myself. The exchange ultimately caused me to develop more confidence in talking about what I believe to be true.

I have thought about that post and the subsequent comments often throughout this year and developed a deep appreciation for that exchange. I am a better person for it and I'm thankful that it caused me to really look at my willingness to share my beliefs but also to accept others for theirs. It has taken me this long to be able to say "thank you Maureen" for providing a learning opportunity.

1 comment:

VeNicia Monet Glazier said...

You're awesome. I like the way you look at this.