Thursday, October 30, 2008

The New Indentured Servant

I have attended a few political meetings in the past week or so and come away with a new theory. I have come to believe that those who hold public office have become the new indentured servants. Think back to your history lessons in school and remember the chapter on slavery. A small section of that typically included a description of the indentured servant. If you remember correctly, indentured servants were those who sold themselves as cheap labor for a variety of reasons and at some point were set free after a contracted amount of time. Accounts of indentured servitude typically consist of conditions tantamount to slavery. Poor treatment by those who "owned" said servants often leads the list of negative aspects of this practice. As I listen to the constituents of various politicians complain and place ever increasing demands on their representatives, I can't help but feel that these elected officials are expected to work miracles in poor to miserable circumstances all the while taking severe beatings from those who "own" them. Don't get me wrong, I don't for one minute think politicians are the pillars of community they are intended to be (with exceptions, of course.) But I can't help but wonder, have we created our own monsters by treating good people (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt) so abusively that we turn them into the shady, cynical politicos they seem to be?
There is much online about indentured servitude and it's origins. One website goes so far as to say "Wherever you find slavery, you first find indentures."

My point is this-if we want good people to seek election, shouldn't we treat our elected officials like they're good people?

No comments: