Friday, October 19, 2007

Trying to understand

Ok, folks! I'm jumping in with both feet on this one.

My older children and I are reading "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry". When we first started it, I was extremely anxious. After all, the "N" word is used several times. I have been so happy to find that this book has led to some fantastic discussions and some serious thought. We have talked about the "N" word and what it means (every time I read it I want to gag.) My oldest, who is ten understands the point of the book best. I was moved during our reading last night by the passage in chapter six when Mama is talking with Cassie after her encounter with rampant racists in a nearby town. Cassie is upset that someone would think they are better because they are white:

"Ah shoot! White ain't nothin'"

Mama's grip did not lessen. "It is something, Cassie. White is something just like black is something. Everybody born on this earth is something and nobody, no matter what color, is better than anybody else."

"... Baby, we have no choice of what color we're born or who our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here. And I pray to God you'll make the best of yours." (pp 127,129)


Why is it that after so many years we still don't get that? There are a lot of things I am confused about regarding black people just as I am sure there are many things others are confused about regarding Mormons. Mostly my confusion stems from fear of offending. I will admit, when I see a black person, I am more consumed with not offending this person than actually attempting to be friendly. I'm not scared of black Americans, I am scared of offending them. As a white woman from a predominantly white area, I don't know what to say/do. All I have for reference is the media (yeah, I know) and books. It's hard to sift through it all to determine what's accurate. There is a part of me that is terrified by posting this entry and yet I am sincere in my thoughts.

Will we ever figure this out? I truly think the big question when all is said and done will be: Did we learn to love each other?

No comments: