Friday, October 19, 2007

More thoughts..

Here are some more thoughts I've had since my last post. (You need to read the last entry or this won't make sense)

Equality doesn't mean being the same. There is a big difference between being equal and being the same. Rather than being "color blind" Why can't we appreciate each other for the color that we are? It's ok that she's white and it's ok that he's black or brown or purple for crying out loud.

Equality doesn't mean letting people do whatever they want. I think this is potentially a whole other discussion. We can save this for later.

Ooh, I really would love for people to respond. This could be a great discussion.

2 comments:

Linda Lou said...

I think that equality means:
Legally, we all have the same protection under the law.
Personally, that we all have the ability to reach our own potential.
Spiritually, that each can know that God loves him or her individually.

There are probably many other definitions, but I don't think sameness has much to do with it.

Good discussion topic.

Megan said...

You probably would like more comments from people who you don't already know their general opinion, but I'll give you mine anyway:

I don't know why we can't see each other as "equal". I have to admit that I pass my own judgements on people who I don't consider "the same" as me. Many prejudices stem from lack of education, lack of understanding, lack of tolerance, or lack of ability. I think this goes for the person who is being prejudice and the person they may be prejudice towards.

For me, the greater concern is the fine line between tolerance and acceptance. I know you wanted to "save this for later" but I want to dig in. I do agree that all people, in the eyes of our Divine creator, are equal. Unfortunately we each have a different hand of cards dealt to us at birth--these are the things I think are acceptable in others.

We also make different choices that allow us to change our cards--these are the things that are tolerable, though not necessarily acceptable in others.