Monday, October 8, 2007

I'm a fan!!

I got to go cheer my sister on in the Portland, Oregon marathon this weekend. I was supposed to walk it with her but totally chickened out. I have to say that I had a much better time cheering on the participants.

We downloaded several fun songs from ITunes for the event: Eye of the Tiger, The Rocky Theme, Superman Theme, Walking on Sunshine and a few more. We got a hold of a bull horn and portable CD player and stood on the side of the road playing the songs on the CD player through the bull horn. You could hear the music a block away. It was awesome! At the beginning it was fun to get everyone pumped up. Everyone was all smiles and filled with excitement. Mile 7 was much the same. At about mile 19 you could see the fatigue and that's when the cheering became more than fun. It truly felt like a responsibility. My sister would pass and we would continue to play music for the people who followed. We stood for 2 hours in one spot to make sure we got everyone. At mile 26 we truly felt honored to play "We are the Champions" and cheer them on the homeward stretch. I didn't walk the marathon but I was so glad I went to cheer. I've realized I don't want to walk a marathon but I think I could be the world's greatest fan.

Kudos to my sister for finishing her second marathon!! Way to go!!

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

I'm such a sucker for marathons--not running (or even walking!) in them, but seeing everyone who finishes such a monumental task. When I have gone to see my sister and brother-in-law cross the finish line I get all emotional because of all the sacrifice that has gone into it. I must admit, even when reading your post I got a little choked up. Runners need good fans, so it's good there are lots of us that don't run but can cheer with the best of them!

Linda Lou said...

It was great having you here for the weekend! I think that we all learned alot about ourselves as well as marathoning.

I'm proud of you all! Allison, for your courage and strength, and the rest of us for doing what we do best. Supporting each other! Yea Us!!