Tuesday, May 22, 2007

You know it's bad when...

I've been reading an article on MSNBC about the fighting in Lebanon. I'm sure many are aware of the attacks on the refugee camp there and the toll it is taking not only on military personnel but the civilians living in the camp. They are estimating that 29 Lebanese soldiers have died and approximately 20 militants. There is no count for the civilian lives lost because aid workers can't get into all the areas. There are refugees running from the camp saying that there are bodies buried in the rubble and lying in the street. All in all it is a horrific situation that seems out of control. What struck me was the statement that the group Islamic Jihad is the mediator trying to work out a cease fire. I had to read that sentence twice. Do we really think that a militant Islamic group can initiate a cease fire between a military force and another militant Islamic group? No matter whether you pray to Allah or God or Buddah or whomever, Lebanon needs all the help it can get.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Ya know, I'm home just about every day with nearly nothing to do. I need to be more current with international issues. I know VERY little about what's going on in other parts of the world.

Ally Bally said...

I have to agree with Mergans. I am out of the house all day but I still do not know as much as I should about the world around me. I will try to make a better effort.
Al