Friday, May 11, 2007

The Good Force Challenge

I was helping with our Bike Rodeo at our elementary school today which was a lot of fun. My friend who was in charge had spent a lot of time getting things planned and ready. I could tell that as the event got closer she was getting nervous. As the night progressed I mentioned that things had gone well and that I thought she had done a good job. She looked so relieved when I said that I couldn't help but feel that I had eased her worries for a moment and given her some much needed validation. It was a simple exchange and in fact writing about it has taken longer than the actual event but as I think about her reaction I want to do it again. So here is my challenge, if you're reading this today, take a moment and thank someone, compliment them. Just say something nice. I guess it's my watered down version of pay it forward but I figure it's a good copy. If you're interested, share your experience in the comments. I'm interesed to hear them. Thanks for reading, Lu

3 comments:

Megan said...

Here's a story for you: I worked for an engineering firm in down-town Vancouver for a summer after my freshman year of college. After a long day of speaking to cranky customers and ushering to the needs of my boss(es) I slowly dragged my feet down the stairs in anticipation of the long drive home.

As I opened the door to the street an older gentleman was riding by on his bycicle. Now, in down-town Vancouver this really wasn't a big surprise. What surprised me was that as soon as he passed me he dismounted his bike, turned toward me, and said "hey." He then proceeded to pull a short-stemmed rose from his front shirt pocket and hand it to me. Within seconds he mounted his bike and pedalled away. No joke, this really happened.

I tell you, that made my day, and several following weeks. To this day, I can think of that moment and smile. What a nice guy, on a bike. Just desiring to make someone's day.

Linda Lou said...

Hi everyone, here's my "make your day" story.

Several years ago I was finishing up baking the Christmas wreaths that I used to make for the neighbors at Christmas, when the door bell rang. I was covered with flour and very tired. I went to the door and there was a florist delivery guy standing there with one long stemmed rose.

I took the rose and walked back to the kitchen all the while smiling and wondering who could have sent my this lovely thing. I tried to imagine why it had been sent to me and who had done it. It was wonderful, for those few minutes it took to get the vase, to savor the sweetness of the whole thing.

After I put the flower in the vase I opened the card to read that it was from a local dentist who wanted to thank me for sending him a referral.

I laughed myself sick. But for a few minutes it had been special to enjoy the thoughts of gratitude I felt for someone recognizing me.

This is a good challenge Lu. We can make the world a little better by being a force for good.

Love you guys!! You're the BEST!!

Linda Lou ( decided that I really do have "claim to the name")

Ally Bally said...

OK, When I was in high school I was in the bathroom washing my hands and the girl next to me was just starting at me and then she said " you have the best nose ever, I would love to have your nose". Ever since then I love my nose.

Yesterday my boss and I were at lunch and a lady walked by and said "What a nice skirt" and just kept walking. It made me feel good!
Ally Bally