Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oh, For the Love...

I am the meanest host mother EVER!!!

This morning, as I awoke BEFORE the butt-crack of dawn I was made aware of the fact that my 17 year old was STILL ASLEEP! After clapping hands in the air above his sleepy little head and loudly speaking his name, he rose from his blissful slumber with TEN minutes until we had to leave.

Now, most people would think "Oh, I'm late, I need to hurry" but no, not my little pumpkin. Ten minutes is apparently plenty of time to take a ten minute shower, dress, untangle your Ipod ear buds and walk at a regular pace.

If this was the end of my story well, that would be good but I feel like complaining so just let me get it out. I ventured downstairs to see that the Korean was ready when, as I passed the stairwell leading into the basement, I meet said Korean in his pajamas. Pointing to his neck he says "my neck hurts". Seeking clarification and understanding so I ask "your neck or your throat?".

"throat"

"Are you running a fever?"

"no"

"Do you have a runny nose?"

"no"

"have you had anything to drink?"

"yes"

"do you have white spots on your throat?"

looking puzzled- "no?"

"Inside your throat, are there white spots?"

"no"

he asks-"can I go to the last two periods of the day?"

I say "will you feel better then?"

"no"

"Then why don't you go to the first two periods of the day and see if you feel better. If not, you can call me."

"I am tardy"

"not if you hurry"

Do not fear dear reader- all children were deposited at their respective schools and no one has requested to leave early...yet.
(side note: I will feel guilty if he turns out to have strep)


ON THE BRIGHT SIDE! My children rock!
my TWELVE YEAR OLD gets up to his own alarm, showers, eats and gets to school on his own, on time!
My NINE YEAR OLD gets up to his own alarm, showers, eats and does his homework. Then I get him to school on time.

It is my goal in these next 8 months to have fully self sufficient children OF ALL AGES!!

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Sara White said...

Let us see what the nine year old does at 17.

Lula Mae said...

I'd like to know what the 17 year old did at nine

Linda Lou said...

Good Luck!

As they say. The best predicter of future behavior is past behavior.