Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sunscreen


It is the first day that we are projected to hit 80 degrees. I'm rather excited about this even though tomorrow's forecast is for showers. I am also in the quandary I find myself every year on a day like this, I need sunscreen but have not made the first purchase of the year. As I was researching sunblock, I wondered, how do they test sunscreen to know if they are effective? Well, Hannah Holmes had the answer. Apparently, they actually use people. And wouldn't you know, it's the folks from England who are the lucky guinea pigs. (I wonder if they have to send them to Hawaii or Puerto Rico to actually find sun.) What an interesting job, "sunscreen guinea pig". I guess somewhere in my mind I too think it's okay to risk Melanoma for a day at the beach. Either way, a big shout out to those of the fair skin who easily burn, your sacrifice does not go unappreciated.

Anyway, as you know there are a myriad of choices for sun protection and sometimes it's hard to narrow down the field to make the best selection for your family. Consumersearch.com has a list of tested products that work the best. And if you need information on preventing and treating sunburn, The Skin Cancer Foundation has a plethora of useful information for moms.

Well, I'm off to the store and then the backyard. Here's wishing you a burn-free summer!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's so interesting you brought this up. My sprinkler system wouldn't come on yesterday, first time trying this season. So, I did it the old fashioned way and brought out an actual sprinkler. Well, as soon as I did that I had 4neighbor kids plus my two older children begging to put swimsuits on and run through it. Now, it was only 70 degrees here, but after the winter we had it felt like a heat wave. Anyway, all this to say I sent my kids out for about 30 minutes with just a tad bit of sunscreen that I had left over from last year. I felt like an awful mom not drenching them in the stuff as I usually do. So, yes, I too need to go buy some for the season now. :) BTW, you have a way with words, you made me laugh at the British being guinea pigs and all that...

Lisa said...

Did you know that sunscreen expires too. D and I have had many sunburns after a day at the beach due to expired sunscreen.