Saturday, April 19, 2008

Faithful Thoughts: "Teaching Moments" - (Annie)

I like the topic that Lisa chose this time because it has made me stop and truly think what has been effective and what hasn't as I try to teach my children. I agree that the most teachable moments are moments that aren't planned, they just happen during the course of the day. I would also say that the simpler I make my answers, the better. I can lecture, I can go on and on but I see a glaze go over my children's eyes (especially Katie - Zach would just be long gone by that point) when I go too much in depth. Children do watch, and they do pick up our good and bad habits/traits. (And like it or not, they especially like to share the embarrassing comments, stories, etc. to friends, teachers, grandparents, etc.) Obviously parents are human and we can get tired and not always be on our best behavior. But it's very important to set a good example because those little eyes are always watching.

We always sit and have dinner together (lunch, too...daddy's just not usually there for that one). We take turns sharing about our day and what the best part of our day was. It's a great time to learn about my kids, what makes them tick. It's also a great time for them to learn about their siblings. I will miss Katie being there with us at lunch next year...she'll be off to 1st grade.

We also do family devotionals at night before bedtime. Katie soaks it up, Zach can't sit still and pay attention very long, even though we're talking about 5 minutes. It can be very frustrating, but my hope is that Zach is still observing what we are doing as a family and at some point (hopefully in the not-so-distant future) he will be sitting there soaking it all in with us. It's amazing how a 5 minute devotion that is geared for small children can speak volumes to the parents, too!

I have to say that I learn a lot from my children. I learn more about myself, things that maybe I wish I could change. My daughter has a friend that isn't the nicest of girls, yet she absolutely loves this little girl. God is proud of her for that. I'm sure Katie's attitude about the little friend is a lot better then mine. There are times I'd like to pull this little girl aside and say something not-so-nice to her, but then I have to remember that I am to love her no matter what. How is it that my 6-year-old daughter has that concept down and her 34-year-old mother doesn't? (Of course I would sit the little girl down if it were something really harmful that she were doing, but it isn't.)

We spend our whole lives studying things in school, taking tests, etc. It's rather surprising how anyone can just have a baby, no degree necessary! And yet it is the hardest job (and most rewarding) out there! People who adopt have to take tons of classes...in a way I'm envious because I think my friends who adopted were probably much better prepared for parenthood then I was. It is definitely on-the-job training. There are never real clear-cut answers or approaches. You just trust and pray that you are doing the best for your children. I think we can all three attest to the fact that church and God are our best bets for raising good human beings. I know I've made a lot of parenting mistakes in the past and I know I'll make more in the future. I thank God for loving and forgiving me when I fail and for helping me in my parenting skills when I am smart enough to ask for His help!

1 comment:

Lula Mae said...

I like your comment about having no degree necessary to have a child. It amazes me that people think having a child is a matter of biology. I once read a quote, and I can't remember to whom it was attributed, but it went something like this; "Having a child makes you a good parent like having a piano makes you a concert pianist". I guess it all comes down to practice.