Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Lock Down

My son asked me again last night if he could get an email address. That was after he wanted me to log him into the chat room his friend invited him to. I'm seriously freaking out here. My son is 10! My husband and I are scrambling to find parental controls that will basically convince my son that there is nothing on the internet worth looking at. Do they make those?
Seriously, I realize that if my children are going to succeed in life they have to have a working knowledge of the interenet and it's functions. My fear stems from all the horror stories I've heard lately. For example, People Magazine (I realize this is fluff) just ran a story about a girl who was abducted, tortured and assaulted by a guy she met online. Locally our law enforcement officers caught a guy meeting a 16 year old girl at a mall to "hook up". He was in his 30's and he had his kids in the car. Then there is the other guy who was a teen himself and had sex with a minor in the bathroom of the local mall. Guess where they met? He didn't even know her name and they had met before. Can you see why I'm a little freaked out? So after I'm done writing this little diatribe I'm going to install a fortress around my "virtual home" and talk to my kids about internet safety. I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone has some good tips, send 'em my way.

No comments: