Tuesday, April 17, 2007

condolences

May I add my voice to the many who are expressing sorrow and sympathy to the families and friends of the victims of the Virginia Tech shootings. As I read through the bios of those who lost their lives, I can't help but hope that we all take a moment to show the ones we love and appreciate how much we care. It seems easy to do and yet is all too often something that I overlook each day. I assume they know.

At the same time I can't help but wonder what the family of the shooter is feeling today. My prayers are with them as well. I won't pretend that I don't have my preconceived notions of what drove this man to do what he did. I am trying to look past them. Before yesterday he was just another guy after all. I can only imagine what they will face.

All I can do is make something good from this. I will act when I see someone who appears lonely or depressed. I will try to be a friend to those who may not have any and I will do my best not to judge. In my way, I hope to comfort those who have suffered loss by learning something from their loss. Please take some comfort in knowing that the world is different today not just because of your tragedy but because someone has learned from your tragedy and will do their part to keep it from happening again. Once again, I send this out into the wide expanse and hope that it makes something better.

No comments: