Friday, April 6, 2007

The Great Roundup

Spring is here and I'm so excited. I've been watching my rose bushes begin to bud and unfurl their little leaves. It won't be long until I have blooms to cut. The trees are beautiful in all their spring splendor and the warmth of the sun is getting everyone out of doors. As I survey my yard I am excited as I plan the gardening tasks that I need to get done in the next few days and weeks but there is one small smudge on my shiny green thumb outlook. You see, last year my husband got tired of fighting the grass that kept creeping into the rose garden. You know the pesky three blade clumps that somehow climb over the six inch rock edging and within hours have produced a whole colony. After pulling and pulling week after week he simply decided Roundup was the best solution. Now the pragmatist in me says right on! Quick and deadly. No more bending and weeding with no result. It worked in fact until I reminded him that underneath those tyrranical blades of grass rest my Tulip bulbs. All winter I fretted about whether or not the Roundup had penetrated into thier underground incubator. Well I'm here to tell you Roundup doesn't kill tulips! It Mutates them!
This year with great excitement and anticipation I watched my tulips come up, stretch forth their green blades and.....that was it. No blooms, no flowers no nothin'. So in the next few days I will go out and cut off all the green blades, gently cover up the opened earth where they emerged and hope for better next year.

No comments: