Sunday, February 28, 2010

What's in a Word?

Have you ever noticed how many words are uttered without a true understanding of their meaning? I don't mean whether or not the speaker knows the dictionary definition but respects the meaning of the word. A small list came to mind; freedom, respect, pride, democracy, hero, equality, spirituality.

If you watch any type of film, news cast or movie from earlier decades, you will see what I mean. Language is beautiful and can convey so much but I think that so often we scrape the bottom of the barrel when we express ourselves. Looking for either the most ambiguous or simple word to convey a thought/feeling. Is it an attempt to conceal or just simple laziness? Of course, this is just a theory but I think that one could draw a direct line to correspond the health (security of it's government) of a nation with it's use of language. I believe we need to elevate ourselves.

No comments: