Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Down Another Path

So you may remember that I have had an exchange student living with me for the past seven months. It's the second time I've had an exchange student although he's the third student we've hosted. (Last year we had two at the same time.)

We are currently in the process of finding another home for this student because it's just not working out very well. It's not that he's a bad kid, quite the contrary, he's very polite but we have come to a major divide in our ways of thinking. See, I am a Mormon and he is an Atheist.

When we first started this school year, I thought we could live around each other's differences. He's a responsible kid who has never really made any more work for me in my house as far as chores go. The problem is simply, I have grown weary of feeling his tension at my dinner table as he sits with his head up, eyes ahead while we pray. Of feeling like we can't talk about certain subjects because he's here. I'm sure he's tired of feeling like religion and God are everywhere he turns and that no one is interested in hearing much about the things in which he believes strongly.

The only thing I can think of to describe our decision is simply this; while it's fun and exciting to play a football game, you don't bring the opposing team in to the locker room. This student would make a great next door neighbor. Thoughtful, respectful and hard working. But we just haven't been able to make it work living under one roof.

It's killing me to think that we can't make this work somehow but I know I will not stop praying, going to church or talking about God and I know that it is wrong to ask him to observe the tokens that mark my faith. I will not ask him to change just as I will not change for him. So, here we are. Respectfully taking separate paths hoping that no matter what the future holds both of us can look back at this experience with respect for the other.

No comments: