Monday, September 13, 2010

Shut up and Sit Down

You know, there's a lot going on with the mosque and Quran issue in America right now. While I understand the intense feelings against the Fundamentalist Muslims it also make me very sad that Americans feel that retaliation in such a way is an effective tool of coersion.
As a member of a religion that is grossly misunderstood, I too have seen sacred emblems of my faith hoisted upon poles and paraded through the streets of my town. I have seen posters and heard demonstrators denounce and defame the names of men and women I find saintly and wonderful. I know first hand the anger that can come from someone verbally and aggressively attacking those things I find most sacred. However, I also believe that shouting back or desecrating sacred things of another religion does nothing but cause more anger, more hurt.

For those men and women who hold titles and authority in their respective churches or even participate in such events, who threaten or actually defile the holy emblems of other faiths- shame on you! If you claim to represent Christianity or God you have done nothing but turn more hearts far from him.

1 comment:

Linda Lou said...

Thanks for your wise words. The whole Florida thing makes me sick. I have always wondered what would drive so-called "Christians" to behave in such an Unchristian-like manner.

The question is the same for both the Mosque builders and the Florida church. Just because you legally can do something, is it something you should do? All of us know things that we can do that we shouldn't.