Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Darkness Comprehendeth it Not

My daughter has been waking up in the night lately scared of monsters. She told me the other night that she was afraid of the dark which reminded me of something my aunt told me when I was young. She said "You're not afraid of the dark, you're afraid of the things you can't see in the dark." She was right and it made me think differently about darkness. I realized that for my three year old I cannot explain this concept and so I have decided to put a night light in her room. This action reminded me of the scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants(6:21) "Behold I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I am the same that came unto mine own and mine own received me not. I am the light which shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not."
I've often heard the analogy that when you light a candle in a dark room, the dark scatters. I always thought that was a funny analogy because I never considered the darkness to be a living thing, something that could "scatter". AT first, these two ideas, the comment from my aunt and the analogy of the candle in the dark room, seem to be at odds with one another but really I think they both speak to the same thing. Too often we allow darkness in our lives and whether it is the darkness itself or the fear of what the darkness hides both can be defeated by the light. Christ can make us brave and strong so that we can face the unknown and the unseen.

No comments: