Saturday, December 8, 2007

Singin'

I had the great opportunity to attend a Messiah sing-in last night. I read a book about Handel and his experience creating the Orotorio and I was grateful to have the chance to participate in the performance of such a profound piece of art. Considering it took Fredrick Handel three weeks to compose the massive Messiah I am nothing short of amazed at the beauty and profundity of it.

I was moved to tears during the chorus "Worthy is the lamb that was slain". I do not know anyone who could not appreciate the moment either spiritually or musically as you hear the soaring sopranos joined in syncopated movement with the altos, tenors and bases as they end the peice with NINE pages of amens.

Of course, it is also thrilling to know as you join with hundreds of voices to translate the Hallelujah chorus from written music to audible sound that you are a part of something that has been performed by thousands, if not millions, of people for over a hundred years.

My heart soared with gratitude and excitement as I sang "Hallelujah. Hallelujah. For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth." It was a moment of pure worship and praise.

What a great way to spend a Christmas season evening.

1 comment:

Linda Lou said...

I'm happy that you got to do this. What a special start to the holiday season.