Thursday, December 6, 2007

Liked the speech

I read the transcript of Mitt's speech and found it very well done. It caused me to want to be more aware of others.

Mitt Romney:

"Today's generations of Americans have always known religious liberty. Perhaps we forget the long and arduous path our nation's forebears took to achieve it. They came here from England to seek freedom of religion. But upon finding it for themselves, they at first denied it to others. Because of their diverse beliefs, Ann Hutchinson was exiled from Massachusetts Bay, Roger Williams founded Rhode Island, and two centuries later, Brigham Young set out for the West. Americans were unable to accommodate their commitment to their own faith with an appreciation for the convictions of others to different faiths. In this, they were very much like those of the European nations they had left."

2 comments:

Megan said...

I pretty well liked it too. I watched it this morning as he was giving the speech and his feelings on the subject were evident in his demeanor.

I'm not sure this'll encourage or discourage his odds at become the next American president, but I liked the message in general. I agree that it'd be nice to see a return to Diety. Whether a Catholic god, Methodist god, Mormon god, or Baptist god, I feel we would all live in a better place if we recognized a Higher Power in our lives.

Linda Lou said...

After all was said and done, I was most impacted by Romneys declation of his belief that" Jesus is the Son of God and the Redeemer of the world" . What an amazing thing to say to all the people listening to the speech and to those watching on the media.

It is a wonderful thing to recognize that we live in a country that allows that freedom. I just wonder how long we will be able to do it in the climate that exists today. Good work Mitt! How many have the opportunity to share their testimony with millions of people....and do it?

Merry Christmas to all!