Tuesday, July 24, 2007

In Memorium

My neighbor's son was killed in Iraq last week. The funeral is set for this Saturday. I have been surprised by how this news has affected me. Maybe it's because I know this person and have participated in several functions with him but I can't help but feel the hopelessness of it all. His son was 23, he was part of a helicopter crew and as they were landing, they opened the doors to deploy and he was killed by small arms fire as he tried to exit the craft. Even reading that sentence I realize the surgical language I've used to make it less personal. I've spoken with my friend and extended my heartfelt condolences but even as I was expressing my thoughts to him I realized how absolutely small my words were. What do you say to someone who has lost a child to war? How do you let them know that even though the words you say have been used a million times by a million people, you actually mean them from the bottom of your heart? I find myself lacking in the ability to provide comfort. I pray that this family who has sacrificed so much will find solace in the knowledge that they will be together again, in another place and time.


Here are some statistics: Over 42 million men and women have served in the defence of our country throughout it's history. Of those, over one million have perished and another million have been wounded.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I don't want this to sound insensitive, but I'm surprised that of the 42 million people who have served, only 1 million have been killed and 1 million injured. I'm finding that the older I get (or maybe it's because I'm married with my own family, a husband still of draft age and a son who may some day serve his country) the more patriotic I am and appreciative of the tremendous sacrafices people have made for us. I think we take it for granted. But then, what do I do to make a difference?

Ally Bally said...

I am so sorry for your freind and I thank him and his whole family for the sacrafice they have made that make my life and freedoms possible. Thank you again and my thoughts and prayers are with them.