Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The New Way to Swear

I had an interesting discussion with a friend the other day. Both of us are serving in our church with the young women and have found that many girls use text messages as actual words in English.

I find it interesting when I hear a gal say OMG when I know she would never actually say the individual words that make up that text word. WTF is another one I find interesting. Even when the person puts WT(Freak) in the comments. My question is this, do people really think that by abbreviating the swear word it's not swearing? Even if we're just writing it? Is it less offensive if we allow ourselves to pretend that what we're saying is not what we mean?
I think this is just one more way the general public removes themselves from having to be responsible for what comes out of their mouth. I guess it feels like we're keeping things at arms length or something, plausible deniability?

2 comments:

Sermons of the Day said...

I say crap and shoot and gosh dangit. I have often thought of OMG as Oh my gosh and can see it that way too. It is not easy to use words that are not ment to replace others meannings but the words themselvs. I think I will start saying, RAD! and FAR OUT!I might even use GROVIE a time or two.

Linda Lou said...

I know a few families that won't allow "that sucks!" either. I had no idea why until someone told me. That really sucked! oooops!

I know that I can't give up "crap", it's too deeply ingrained in me, but I'll try to throw in a few groovys too.