Friday, April 10, 2009

Across The Sea

We have applied to host an exchange student in the fall. It will be a five month stay and he will attend the local High School. Assuming everything comes out clean on our background checks (I will be shocked and horrified if it doesn't) we will be hosting a 15 year old young man from Germany we chose from several student profiles that were given to us.
I am very excited and anxious about this new endeavor. On one hand I am excited to learn about parenting an older child, one in high school. On the other hand, I'm anxious about parenting an older child in high school. We have talked about this in family council and as a family we are looking forward to his arrival in August.

If anyone else is looking for this type of experience, they (DM Discoveries) are trying to place several students for the upcoming year. Each student is required to have $300 a month of their own money, speak English and abide by rules set by the host family. They must complete background checks in their countries and be responsible for their schooling here in the U.S. They are fully insured and tested for their ability to communicate. You can contact Kristene at 801.822.2590 or UT.KBaldwin@gmail.com

4 comments:

Linda Lou said...

Boy, what an adventure!
Let us know what this means for the holidays and August. It will be fun getting to know your new "son".

Lula Mae said...

He'll come to all our holidays with us. We haven't talked about Thanksgiving, are we doing the cabin or Washington? We could host here if that works.

Megan said...

Man...I totally wish I lived closer. I want in on this experience. I vote for thanksgiving in utah, it's an easy meeting point.

Sermons of the Day said...

Cliff and I would love to come to Utah for Thanksgiving too. I will have my kids so we would all have so much fun. We can all help with meals on different days so the Olds would not have to fit the whole bill.