Monday, March 23, 2009

All Hail Visa

It's finally happened! I got a call from Visa Fraud Protection last week telling me that they had some questions on my account. I didn't think too much of it because I had just purchased some magazine subscriptions online and I thought that's probably what they were concerned about. Flash forward 3 days....I finally get around to checking my account online and guess what, I have $148.21 worth of unauthorized charges. Someone got a hold of my card number and used it online. Things they bought- weight loss products, money making literature and a "My Life Reunion Search" membership.
I've got to admit, I am impressed that Visa could tell that I didn't make those purchases and contacted me. I am able to dispute the charges and get a refund on the items.
I've purchased LifeLock identity protection and will be loading all my information into that. It will monitor my credit, alert the credit bureaus, protect my SS# and a few other things. It costs $200 a year but I figure someone just stole $148.21 from me last week so it's worth it.
I have no idea how someone got my card number but it must have been pretty easy because they used the information without a whole lot of problem. I'm just grateful that Visa caught it fast and without a lot of money at stake.

Watch out!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Ooooo! Scary! I'm glad they caught it so quickly though.

Lisa R.D. said...

That's great that they caught it in time... we've been impressed with Visa too, they have called us a few times when Ryan and I have made purchases in different cities on the same day. I am happy that they (you) caught it before much damage was done and that their policies protect you from those charges. Woo hoo!

Julie Pia said...

Thanks for the heads up. Glad you're getting a refund.

Ally Bally said...

Visa did the same thing for me a few years ago
I'll have to call and ask you about the Lifelock thing. I've seen them on TV and thought about it before. Your right if it's only $200.00 a year, a robber can do a lot more damage then that in a much shorter time frame.

Sermons of the Day said...

good to know. We do not have credit cards so would it also work for debit?

Lula Mae said...

It was my debit card!